Sunday 27 September 2009

If I hear "I commend you for trying" once more...

...something very heavy will be moving very fast in the direction of the TV screen.

One of the best parts of last night was that I discovered a fail safe way to get the boyfriend's attention back from I-phone land and the bliss of new apps, is to casually mention "Oh look there is Ola".

First up was Tuffers. I loved his waltz last night and also his discovery that he was actually enjoying dancing! Like Darren Gough and Matt Dawson before him, he has started to fall in love with dancing, but unlike them, his revelatory moment has come in his first week. I think his competitive streak will come out now and he will put some real work in. His cha cha was not as accomplished as last week, but he came out and engaged with the audience, danced some real cha cha, and his technique was not too bad. I thought the judges were a little harsh on him, and they should be hoping that Phil scoops up all of the loveable entertainer vote, because unlike past incumbents, he has potential to be reasonably good!. Best comment of the evening - "I need facial choreography"....

I just didn't get Craig and Flavia's rumba - it really didn't seem to be going anywhere, and I am not sure that Craig is even enjoying himself. This routine was memorable only for Alesha deciding that she is now experienced enough to contradict Len on matters of technique (!), but unfortnately she had failed to listen properly. What Len actually pointed out was that Craig had some hip action in one of his moves, but needed to bring that action in to all the other basic steps, not that he had hip action per se. Grrr.

Tactless Tess then proceeded to ask Flavia how she would feel about going out first twice in two years. Bangs head on wall. I would imagine Flavia, who in her three year stint on SCD has been runner up once, but gone out after one dance twice would be thinking that options for the renewal of her contract for next year would be limited, especially with the influx of the long of hair,long of leg new girls. Doh, Tess!

I really wish I had left the room during the next dance. The car crash that unfolded was largely the result of Anton's limited choreography. And when the judges gently tried to point this out, even highlighting the difference between yesterday's spot on tango, and this comedy cha cha that forgot the laughs, Anton just continued with an inane set of quips. He was very lucky not to get a complete dressing down (which would have been the case if Brendan had pulled that stunt). Yeah, we get it Anton, you are continuing the audition for Bruce's job, but in the mean time try some dancing. That is what you are paid for, at least for this year. I hope they stay in for a few more weeks though, because I think that Laila might be the first celeb to actually lose it and throw a slap - just not sure whether the recepient would be Anton or Tess.

The lovely Zoe and James rumba was a complete contrast. The wardrobe department definitely lavish attention on Zoe and she did pull of a convincing performance. James seemed to have lifted parts of his rumba choreo for Cherie and put them in this routine, but it didn't quite reach those heights, perhaps because it lacked tenderness, or perhaps because Zoe doesn't quite have the core strength to pull off the controlled moves as yet.

Ah, Diddy and Lil' Lil with a bewildering mixture of disco and what looked like choreographed semaphore moves, with very little cha cha, and even less attention to rhythm. But the audience loved it, he looked like he genuinely loved it, and Lilia was giving him so much support through her eyes and smile that she went up even further in my estimation.

I was even impressed with Brendan last night. Usually his self-serving tantrums do nothing for me, but this time his defence of Jo seemed genuine and heart-felt. Yes she is not a natural dancer, but she did better than last night, and she has real guts to be able to go out there and do something completely out of her comfort zone. And from what I have seen of her VTs and interviews, Ronnie Wood is a complete plank. (And I would kill to have legs like her!)

Ricky and Natalie - lovely rumba, but I think it shows that she is a ballroom pro, and he is more naturally talented at latin. Not in the hideous way that is apparent with Anton, but there is a hint of a slight mis-match there. Best dance of the night though and well deserved praise.

Natalie Cassidy has got to the bravest woman on Strictly this year. To go out and do a solo circuit of the room before your partner starts to dance with you, is the hardest thing to pull off, and pull it off she did! It is a sign of just how much confidence Vincent has in her to start the dance with a solo section as well. You go girl!

The pro dances as ever, and particularly the quickstep, were innovative and beautifully danced. I was wondering whether the wardrobe department had to raid someone's dressing up box for the paso skirts though.

Nail biting dance off - and Diddy and Lil' Lil went. It was good to see that once again Lilia has made a genuine friend in her celeb partner, and he seems to have really enjoyed his time on SCD. The competition will be much the poorer without her though, and I rather think I would have enjoyed seeing her with Tuffers.

My hearing may be going, but I am sure that I heard Bruce call Darcey Dorothy. I really hope not. I can't help feeling she may bring a bit much genuine class to SCD though. But there is a certain heart warming naivety to her though. No-one else would have thought it a good idea to say "Let's go to the bar(re) now" to a class that included the likes of Ricky Groves and Phil Tufnell........

No comments:

Post a Comment