Sunday 20 December 2009

And so in the David versus Goliath final ...

David actually won. Now there is a surprise!

For the first time ever this household was split on who we wanted for the SCD. Boyfriend was Whitlowe and I was firmly in the Team Cola camp. But call himself a fan! He only voted once for Whitlowe, whereas I got in a whole 16 votes for Cola...let's hope he starts talking to me again by Christmas Day at least.

Wow, Natalie Lowe's training methods verge on the kinky/cruel spectrum. But she gets the results because that quickstep will go down in Strictly history. And the lovely dancing hobbits foxtrot actually stood up quite well. He was making an effort to improve his hands, although their default mode is splayed, and to smile naturally. Definite signs of improvement. I was scanning the audience for the VSG, but no signs. Why only wheel her out for ITT and not the final itself?

And so the parade of losing celebs from across the series. There are some internet theories that state that Martina Hingis could have won the series if left in long enough (well so could Craig Kelly if eveyone else got injured and he was the last one standing), and that her performance was lacklustre due to illness. Well, judging on last night's brief return, she is still lacking in musicality, purpose in her movements and core strength. She also went wrong quite a lot. So that's that theory scotched then.

Oh Diddy Dunwoody and Lil' Lilia - sweetest couple ever.

Ravioli - proving again that he really was the victim of poor choreography, a pro with an over sized ego, and his own over sized thighs.

Oxo Mum and Goody Two Shoes - looking lovely and relaxed and as if she were finally able to enjoy dancing.

And what's this - Joe di Calzaghe and the Monroe-alike have actually improved quite a lot actually. But then they may have had more time for "practice".

I had been kind of dreading the gurn city that is the lindy hop, thinking it would really show Chris up, but he more than held his own, even without the Ricky/Natalie lift that went so horribly wrong. He wasn't outdanced at all, and I loved the whole dance and thought that the choreography was really witty.

Now I know that there was a bit of overmarking going on, to make it seem as though Chris wasn't actually that far behind in the dance stakes, but I thought the marks for the lindy and the showdance were justified.

And so to megamix 2 - Skippy and her Bush Kangaroo doing a VW and illegal lift, Zoe and Mr Presenter actually getting the timing right for their AS lift, and Flavia looking gorgeous in pink. But what no Tuffers! Ill in bed with flu..... Tufty, I can come round and nurse you. I'll even bring a nurse's uniform with me!

Next the real highlight of the evening - that Tango - the One That Might Have Been. Gorgeous and the only dance of the series to actually give me goosebumps. I still think as the only couple of the series to combine techique, performance and journey, they were a shoo in for the final, and could very well have won it. Poor, poor Jade and Ian.

And the first half finished with Alesha sticking two fingers up at Darcey with a "Screw your ballet pseudo jive malarkey last night. I can sing and dance and do comedy and help the aged all in the same routine!"

Megamix 3 had Ricky and Natalie showing us all how to do performance, and Ali and Brian doing lovely, gorgeous, floaty ballroom. But no Laila - cue the CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

Loved the Cola Charleston - was it worth 50? Well, no, but the probable winners needed a high score, and it finally feels as though Christmas might be here.

I know that Ricky is a really accomplished dancer, and his musicality is second to none, but best male dancer ever? Better than Colin Jackson? Better ballroom hold than Austin or Gethin? I just don't buy it personally, but understand the show's need to have a Best Evah every series. For me, I felt that his free arm has not improved all series, and the arm position in the New York section was still way out of synch with Natalie (and could have been easily fixed). He may have good hip action, but his torso is always rather stiff in latin. Anyway, Darcey managed to bitch slap Alesha back with her "I wish I could cha cha cha with you" to Ricky.

How clever is Ola with her choreographic decisions? Dirty Dancing track - lots of boxes ticked; appropriate lyrics (Do you love me - now that I can dance?) - more boxes; witty choreography; fun; good dancing with nothing beyond his ability; lifts well integrated into the dancing - many ticks. And the final big tick - a one armed lift, that no-one could have predicted Chris would be able to pull off. One of the best show dances I have seen

I always worry when a female turns up for a showdance dressed in a swimming costume. I worry about the waxing issues, and I worry that, just like Adventures in Bacofoil last year, they are about to emulate the acrobatics of the pro showdancers. I was wise to worry.

I think Natalie's choreo really let them down at this point. From the self-important, slow beginning on the steps, to the gynaecological lifts, it seemed to be just a cha cha with a shopping list of lifts and tricks added. I know that it was amazing to see Ricky spin with Natalie balanced on the nape of his neck, but I just didn't feel anything.

And so to the inevitable. Team Cola won!!! I know the internet will be full of moans about the death of SCD, and dumbing down, but for me, they saved a dull series. I think there is a balance between technique and performance, and the best dancers will have that. But technique on its own is not enough. And it is hardly as if Craig Kelly or Jo Woods has just won Strictly!

Dance is magical, and I want to feel part of that magic when I watch it as an audience member. I want to feel what the couples feel about the music, about each other, about the show...but more than that, I want to know that they feel the joy of dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment